Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday Weekend Roundup!

Hello on this blessed Monday, October 15th, two thousand twelve and what a weekend was had.  My Friday was quiet, but spent with my parents.  My Saturday was hectic with a self-defense class and bowling birthday party for my daughter, and then on top of that the annual West Virginia Book Festival was going on.  We as parents have to sometimes sacrifice for our children, and that is what happened this weekend.  No, I didn’t get to attend the book fest in which I love to go around to the different booths and discover new organizations or publishers that are local.  As well as participate in my fav activity, which is the local library book sale.  But my daughter had a great day, and in the end spent the day with a great friend while her father and I spent time together and ate dinner at my cousins. 


Sunday you ask?  Well it was such a beautiful day, and since I wasn’t able to go to the book sale on Saturday I thought this day would be a good fit.  Well spent some time with my mother and then decided to go to the festival to catch the sale.  At least that is what I thought, but it had just closed once we got there.  I was heartbroken, but my mother had retrieved a wonderful coffee table book on Nelson Mandela on Saturday so I was satisfied.  Had no choice but to be!

At this stage in my life’s journey, I have begun LOVING to discover new artists that aren’t necessarily on the “main stream” radar.  So I feel in love with Phonte (formerly of Little Brother, and member of the Foreign Exchange) and Carlitta Durand.  I had followed Phonte for a minute during his stint with Little Brother, and then I read that he had connected with a producer via Youtube named Nicolay and began recording with him and formed the Foreign Exchange.  Carlitta I truly stumbled upon via Last.FM, and their “similar artist” pages, and became a fan instantly.  Phonte has his first solo project out entitled, “Charity Starts At Home”, and the song “It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night” that features Carlitta.  The collabo is brilliant and just soulful and makes your nerve endings twitch (at least mine…).  Click on the photo below to check out the video..


The couple featured in the video is an actual couple in real life, and are jewelry designer Rachel Stewart and photographer Chris Charles.




Didn’t have a lot of time to play online this weekend, but when I did I made it count.  So I went on Issuu.com to find some reads.  Now if you haven't heard or know about this site, I LOVE IT!  You can find some different digital mags that you might not any other way.  This time around found Poppytalk's 2012 Lookbook (Poppytalk: an online curated arts and crafts marketplace).  Click  here to read >>



I also came across this shop that is rooted in bohemian style, and the photography is so stylish and artistic in nature.  They are called, Flying Tomato and their 2012 wholesale lookbook should be checked out!  Click here to take a look >>

 











So until tomorrow, God willing!

Be Blessed!
-Monique

No comments :

Post a Comment