Monday, April 8, 2013

Weekend Roundup


THIS WEEK'S QUESTION:
What is your best/fondest memory of Easter of Spring Break?

Spring Break is over for my darling daughter and she had a wonderful one!  Usually at this time we are at Myrtle Beach, but this year we decided to go at a different time of the year.

My daughter spent a lot of quality time with her grandmother whom just moved back to the state, after she retired from a job that took her out of West Virginia for a couple of years because they closed down their operations here and relocated her.  As well as her spending time with my parents, and you are wondering why this is a “fond memory of Easter/Spring Break”?  I can remember those days of splitting my time between my maternal and paternal grandparents, and actually “knowing” them as individuals.  Having those lasting memories with me, so once they moved on from this life to the next I had a piece of them with me.  See a lot of children from this generation and beyond, aren’t growing up with their grandparents being an integral part of their lives.  There something to be said about being raised around your grandparents, which is getting that knowledge and history of the past.  Getting to know your roots from the ones that are the keepers of the family history, and I could go on.  There is NOTHING in this world better for a child than being raised around your grandparents.  Those who don’t get that are missing out on something wonderful in life, but sometimes that can’t be helped.

Don’t get me wrong, I do understand leaving the nest and staying gone is what it has come to these days.  It is quite rare to have your children stay in the state or city that they were born, which is due to a lot of factors.  I also know that there are many grandparents out there (my parents included) who go out of their way to make sure they are a central part of their grandchildren lives whom don’t live near them.  I just THANK GOD everyday that my daughter gets the pleasure of not only being around her grandparents, but actually spending a LOT of quality time with them that she’ll remember for the rest of her life’s journey on this earth. 


2 comments :

  1. I so agree having grandparents around is a wonderful thing to help raise kids! Exactly why we moved closer to family before we started trying to have kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete