Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday Weekend Roundup


I sat and watched the Bruce Lee movie again with my Mother who hadn’t seen it, and this time it was so much more spiritual in nature.  I know sometimes when you watch a move again, you see things you didn’t the first time or feel different as well. 

There is a part in the film where his father, Lee Hoi-Chuen believed there was a curse on the family in regards the first born male child.  Also, at some point Bruce would have to confront this curse and fight.  After I listened to this part again, it then clicked.  That during his life his very soul fought this curse and won, but he then died at an early age and then years later so did his son, Brandon. 

It was just eerie to me....



Margo Jefferson's mother and father

As I closed my weekend out, I sat and read my More Magazine and came upon a story about the relationship between a stylish mother and her daughter.  The story, written by Pulitzer Prize winning critic Margo Jefferson, tells of a period in time when African-American women dressed to impress in order to just be recognized as existing in the world. 

As I read the words of the story of Margo and her mother, it gave me a view of the 1950’s from another African-Americans perspective.  That generation has stories that this generation needs to hear, in order to understand the shoulders from which we stand on.  How proudful and dynamic they were in those times, surrounded by prejudice and unwanting.  To read the article click here >>

Now since it's Christmas and a lot of parents have activities and events that they must attend, I'd like to leave you with a picture of the Children's choir that my daughter is a member of singing in the State Capitol Rotunda. 


Enjoy your Monday!

--

 
Be Blessed!
-Monique

No comments :

Post a Comment